It’s been over 3 months since my last post, and dear god has it been a busy 3 months. I started a new job in September, attended 2 weddings in October, attended another wedding in November, finished my wedding dress in December (blog post coming after the wedding!), went to quite a few wedding planning meetings, and celebrated the holidays. No wonder I haven’t posted anything on here or made any new videos for my cosplay youtube channel. It feels like my brain is 80% wedding stuff now. Whether other people’s weddings or my own. Along with all that, therapy’s going well and I’m back on the keto train for real. With 2017 wrapping up, I thought I’d do a look back at this year and set some goals for 2018.
2017 Highlights and Lessons
2017 started not with a bang but a whimper. Jason and I didn’t do anything or go anywhere special for new years eve; we spent it on our couch. We happened to just catch the midnight countdown while browsing youtube new years eve streams and seeing it on some random gaming channel. We promptly went to bed. Despite that unremarkable start, the year got progressively better.
Here’s a recap of the year:
- Celebrated 3 year anniversary with Jason
- Quit marketing job in Bend
- Moved back to Dallas (Richardson specifically)
- Reconnected with close friends in town
- Did contract work while job hunting
- Worked briefly at Joann’s to make ends meet
- Hired a wedding planner
- Started seeing a therapist regularly
- Landed a multimedia designer job in September
- Took engagement and bridal portraits with our wedding photographer (Super important to commemorate the occassions!)
- Attended Quakecon (and made lots of cosplay friends!)
- Went to SIX weddings and loved every single one
Lessons learned during 2017:
- Sometimes a company looks promising during the interview process, but turns out to be a terrible fit.
- Take your mental health seriously.
- Sometimes a company looks unimpressive during the interview process, but turns out to be a terrific fit.
- Job interviews are equal parts being interviewed and interviewing the company.
- Eating right affects your mood; eating unhealthy foods also affects your mood.
- One cheat meal can very easily turn into a cheat week.
- Being depressed is never an excuse to be an asshole.
- Reach out to friends and cultivate those relationships.
Goals for 2018
With 2017 in mind, I’ve set some goals for 2018. Some are more just continuations of habits I’m trying to build.
- Continue to eat keto
- Continue to work out 3-4x week
- Continue going to therapy✓
- Floss more!
- Try 1 new workout ✓
- Focus on getting stronger
- Stop dwelling on losing/gaining weight
- Cut down on frivolous spending
- Pay off credit card ✓
- Pay off student loans ✓
- New hobbies / skills
Learn stick shift (Already had Lesson No. 1 with Jason yesterday!)Jason got rid of the Miata so no longer need to learn manual hehe
- Learn at least 2 new keto recipes
- Donate to charity or volunteer at least once per quarter✓
- Cosplay (of course)
- Finish Kali Belladonna cosplay for Akon 2018 ✓
Start and finish Doom Summoner cosplay for Quakecon 2018Doom Summoner was too ambitious so new goal was Doom Slayer kigu for Quakecon ✓
- Make at least one youtube video per quarter
- Stretch goal
- GET A DOG✓
It’s a long list, but I think most of these are pretty reasonable and achievable. I’m looking forward to what the year will bring. I already know it’s going to be a good one cause it’s the year I get to marry Jason 😀
Here’s to 2018! Cheers!
Last updated 12/31/18